Psychotherapy provides an opportunity to learn, grow and to live a more rewarding and meaningful life. Rather than focusing on illnesses and diagnoses, I prefer to focus on clients’ goals and on changes they need to make in order to achieve their goals. I view my role as a psychologist not so much as one who treats or heals, but more as one who helps clients get from where they are to where they want to be in life. This often involves reflecting deeply on what it means to change the things we can change, and to accept the things we cannot.
Clients work to improve self-calming skills, communication skills, assertiveness and anger management skills, skills to cope with depression and skills to improve intimacy. Clients learn how to examine their thoughts and underlying belief systems and to make necessary adjustments in order to live with realistic expectations and perspective.
Marital and Couples
Talks and Workshops
Public speaking and educational workshops are ways to bring psychology out of the therapy room and into the community. View the list of my previous presentation topics and a list of businesses and organizations where I have presented. If you think a talk or workshop might help to achieve a specific goal in your business or organization, please contact me to discuss your idea.
Previous topics include:
- Anger Management
- Assertiveness Training
- Communication for Couples
- Emotional Eating
- Enabling is not Helping
- Healthy Communication Skills
- How People Change
- Living the Serenity Prayer
- Loss and Grief
- Managing Conflict
- Preventing Aggression and Violence
- Psychological Fitness
- Relaxation and Self-Calming Skills
- Stress Management
Businesses and Organizations
I have given talks or workshops at the following businesses and organizations:
- BAE Systems
- Binghamton ALS Education and Awareness Group
- Binghamton Depression and Bipolar Support Group
- Binghamton University Lyceum
- Binghamton Weight Loss Surgery Support Group
- Broome Community College Continuing Education
- Broome Community College Employee Assistance Program
- Broome County Department of Social Services
- Broome County Public Library
- Johnson City Family Care
- Kiwanis Club, Binghamton
- Lockheed Martin
- Mental Health Association of the Southern Tier
- Mission Meltaway
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, Binghamton
- New York State Psychological Association
- Project Management Institute
- STAHR (Southern Tier Association for Human Resources)
- United Medical Associates
- WSKG Radio, Community Conversation
- Women’s Business Organization, Binghamton
- YMCA, Binghamton and Johnson City
By offering a fresh psychological perspective, psychologists can help businesses and organizations to function with greater harmony and efficiency. If you are in a leadership position in your business or organization and would like to discuss how a psychological approach might help to address a human behavior problem in your system, or to fulfill your mission more effectively, please call to set up a professional consultation.
Sample questions that may prompt a consultation
How can I help my staff or team to…
- Cooperate more effectively and respectfully?
- Communicate more effectively?
- Manage frustration and anger safely?
- Cope with stress and anxiety?
- Adopt a healthier lifestyle?
Consultations can be held at my office or at your site. There is no charge for the initial consultation meeting.